A Year of Wildcrafting with
Jess Starwood, herbalist, forager & chef
Journey back to the wild…
Join herbalist, chef, and forager
Jess Starwood in an immersive
gourmet wild foods and herbalism
program starting February 1, 2021.
Registration Ends: JANUARY 31 2021
Jess Starwood is a forager, plant-based chef, teacher, and herbalist with a Masters of Science degree in Herbal Medicine (American College of Healthcare Sciences). She is the founder and owner of SunRaven Apothecary in Thousand Oaks, CA and teaches wild food and herbalism classes. She forages local wild foods and herbs for several Michelin starred restaurants in Los Angeles. She is the author of the upcoming book “Mushroom Wanderland: A Forager’s Guide to Finding, Identifying, and Using 25 Fungi” available August 2021.
In December 2019, Jess was recognized as one of the most creative chefs in Ventura County by Edible Magazine.
Spring 2021 Session:
Now Open For Applications
Join us on a four month exploration of wild food.
The Wild Path… it’s YOUR journey
Students explore and understand the harvesting and processing of local wild foods and how they play an important part in the foundation of a balanced, holistic diet for vibrant living. Culinary skills, plating techniques and recipes will be shared. Topics of ethical harvesting and regenerative practices are emphasized.
This is a time of turning within, addressing our daily habits, self-care routines and prevention of illness to thrive in the winter season. During September through December, students explore and understand the basics of body systems, constitution of herbs and people, addressing imbalances and how to craft herbal medicines to best support the body for optimal health.
View Herbal Medicine Program
Distance education programs available for Spring and Fall Sessions.
Submit an Application
COVID UPDATE: All programs are discounted and virtual at this time.
Who is The Wild Path for?
• Foragers and novice foragers who are looking for information and inspiration.
• Home cooks who want to add exciting wild foods to their repertoire.
• People who follow plant-based and vegan diets wanting to add more variety to their diets.
• Mushroom enthusiasts.
• Nature lovers, including beginners who have a budding interest in the outdoors as well as seasoned nature lovers who want to deepen their relationship with the natural world.
• Parents, caregivers, and teachers who want to inspire their children to live a more connected life.
• Health seekers and those possibly on a spiritual quest to improve their lives with a greater connection to the earth.